Will you be spending the holidays with family? Don’t miss the opportunity to ask questions and share wonderful stories. It’s great fun listening to Grandma tell stories about her life. Need some suggestions?
- How did you meet your spouse? Plus early dates and wedding memories.
- How did your parents meet?
- Describe your 1st job or favorite job?
- Who are some of your heroes?
- What events impacted your life growing up?
- What was your childhood like?
- Get the basics of the people they remember – full names, nicknames, maiden names, birth & death dates. (Sometimes dates are difficult, but association can be the key – i.e. Grandpa died a few years before you were born.)
- Where family lived. What country their family originally came from.
- This is a good one… “Who is the oldest relative you remember? What do you remember about them?”
- History of family surname.
Use your camera or cell phone to video or voice record your conversations. If that’s not possible be sure to take notes – you’ll forget important details. These are just a few starter questions, Google “family history interview questions” for other ideas. Happy holidays!
1 thought on “Generational Holiday Celebrations”